Mint Lamb Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce
(Makes great meatloaf, too!)
- 1 c. Greek plain yogurt
- Finely chopped mint leaves (from 1 sprig)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Dash of ground cumin
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/2 of small onion, in large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- Mint leaves off of 4 sprigs
- 1 egg & 1 additional egg white
- 2 lb. ground lamb
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ of a cooked chicken breast
- fresh ground pepper
**(Suggested side: serve with slices of cucumber or oven roasted slices of eggplant or zucchini)**
How To Prepare
1. Combine yogurt sauce ingredients and refrigerate. Flavors develop best when made day or few hour ahead.
2. Combine 1st five meatball ingredients in food processor until minced into fine pieces.
3. Pour mixture over ground lamb in large bowl. Add cumin, allspice, salt and pepper.
4. Grind cooked chicken breast in food processor to a crumb consistency. Add to bowl and combine all ingredients.
5. Form meatballs and bake in 350 degree oven in lightly oiled pan until 165 degrees inside.
6. Drain off fat/juices. Can brown under broiler if desired.
Modified from original recipe: https://www.lifesambrosia.com/lamb-meatball-gyro-with-mint-yogurt-sauce-recipe/