Buffalo Chicken Casserole
From Juli Bauer's Paleomg Cookbook
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 21⁄2 pounds)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1⁄2 medium yellow onion, minced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 pound ground chicken
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup hot sauce (I prefer Tessemae’s or Frank’s RedHot)
1⁄4 cup mayo
3 large eggs,
whisked chopped scallions, for garnish
How To Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
- Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the skin gives when you press your finger to it.
- Remove the squash from the oven
- and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Grease a Dutch oven or an 8-inch square glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Let the squash cool for 5 minutes,
- remove the seeds, and then use a fork to remove the threads and place them in the greased baking dish.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the garlic, carrot, celery, onion, and bell pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground chicken, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook, using a wooden spatula to break up the chicken into small pieces, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then add the hot sauce and mayo and mix well to combine.
- Add the chicken mixture to the baking dish and mix well with the spaghetti squash threads.
- Add the whisked eggs and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press it in the middle.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped scallion.