BACON AND MUSHROOM STUFFED BBQ PORK TENDERLOIN
4 slices bacon,
chopped 8 ounces cremini mushrooms,
sliced 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic,
minced 1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 pork tenderloins (2 to 2 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce (preferably gluten and sugar free)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
How To Prepare
1. Heat a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the onions and cook until just barely turning clear, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes. Clear a spot in the middle of the pan and add the garlic and shallot and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the garlic and shallot into the rest of the ingredients in the pan. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Butterfly the pork: Make a 1-inch deep incision down the length of each tenderloin; DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Open the meat like a book so the tenderloins lie flat.
3. Cover the pork with plastic wrap; pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until 1/2 inch thick, starting from the middle and working outward. Spread the mushroom mixture over the 2 tenderloins. Starting with a a long side, tightly roll up each tenderloin. Secure the seams with toothpicks.
4. If Grilling: preheat the grill to medium high; brush the grates with olive oil. Brush the pork rolls with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning, until a thermomete inserted into the center of the pork registers 140 degrees, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and rest, about 10 minutes.
5. If Roasting: preheat the oven to 375 degrees and move rack to center of oven. Place the pork rolls on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush the pork rolls with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake until a thermometer registers 140 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes. Brush the pork with BBQ Sauce and return to the oven and bake until sauce starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest about 10 minutes.
6. Remove toothpicks and top with lemon zest.